View Single Post
Old 09-18-2001, 04:22 PM   #249
Fljotsdale
Thoth - Egyptian God of Wisdom

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
Now, straight off, I am a young, idealistic, radical, pacifist teenager. So what? Sometimes the world needs idealists.
Maybe there are some people that are born evil - Hitler I won't argue. But many of the others become evil by outside influence - bad childhood, etc. I do not see what you can do with these people. Unfortunately I am not too well informed about the events of the last 50 years, so I can't really help there. But IMHO, not all terrorists are evil. Some are brainwashed, indoctrinated,... they don't belong in jail, they belong in a psychiatry. And also, how do you define a terrorist? It occured to me that many of the freedom fighters during the Revolutionary War may seem like terrorists from another point of view, among others. I agree with everything Silver Cheetah said, btw.
We are human, we aren't perfect. So nothing we create is perfect - no government is perfect, they have their strong and their weak points. You have to face that to make the government better, a "everything is just perfect the way it is" attitude won't get us anywhere. Also, you have to face your history. Pretending that our country is the best, all the things we did in the past were just for the good of the many (I went to American schools, this is the impression I got from the history lessons) and never for our own pocket, that we never screwed up, is wrong. You HAVE to face the mistakes you made in your history in order not to repeat them. Personally, I think Germany does a good job of this, almost too good, and that our history lessons are rather neutral - but of course all opinions on these matters are subjective. I'm not exactly sure what point I was trying to make with this, I just felt it needed to be said.

Good for you, Kaz! A girl after my own heart! And sensible, too.

Oops! EDIT: Put an 's' instead of a 'z' - sorry!
------------------

[This message has been edited by Fljotsdale (edited 09-18-2001).]