View Single Post
Old 04-09-2001, 11:51 AM   #2
Legolas the Elven Archer

I'm playing an Elven Archer (as you can see in my name) and so far I like it quite well. My Archer is currently at lvl 16, and doing most of the work. With his ability to hide and relocate he can harass an enemy party until they are all dead.
My Archer has a THACO of -11 when using bows, and since he has a heartseeker he can increase this to -18. And he isn't even using the bracers of archery.

I think of a ranger as a person who lives in the woods for days, protecting nature and the innocent without exposing himself. The Archer kit allowed me to create a ranger as I thought it should be.

As for the kind of bow to use, I would reccomend the (composite) longbow. After all, if you're a good archer, you need a powerful bow.

I didn't use the called shot ability at all so far, as I simply never really needed it. I think that if I did, the Archer would prove to be better than I think it to be already. Not being allowed to wear metal armour isn't such a disaster either, as it allows you to hide in shadows at all times.

The only drawback is that an Archer isn't that good in close combat, so I had to take two other fighters with me, which meant less magi and priests.

I haven't used any of the other classes for more than the prologue, so I can't tell you how the Archer relates to other classes, but I'm very enthusiastic about this kit.

------------------
The last arrow of Legolas kindled in the air as it flew,
and plunged burning into the heart of a great wolf-chieftain.
All the others fled. -J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings