Thread: An Observation
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2001, 07:55 PM   #29
Sazerac
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Epona:
Yes, flower gardens are what people crave here. Hardly anyone has just lawn, they like to plant and tend and have colour and scent.

My parents have a fantastic garden, quite large, with trees, flower borders, herbs, planted containers on the paving near the house, and a lawn (complete with daisies, dandelions and buttercups) with a sundial in the middle! They also have a tub full of nettles and other weeds that butterflies like to lay their eggs on, so they always have butterflies in their garden.

My dad mows the lawn when he feels like it, and no-one else cares how often he does it!

That is so cool, Epona, about the butterflies! I never thought about having nettles and weeds. I need to try that here! We're in the Monarch Butterfly migrational path.

Do people in England plant vegetable gardens in the cities? My folks in Louisiana always have tomato plants, some okra, and some squash (summer squash, the yellow variety). One of the things I love most about the summer is going home and having fried green tomatoes (yum!)