View Single Post
Old 10-23-2001, 06:27 PM   #26
Garnet

I sure don't expect him to be reading at the level I was. I was a gifted reader. Spelling and vocabulary were also strong points. On the other hand, this was balanced out by poor to mediocre performance in math. Grant is performing to standards in math. I did expect him to be able to read competently by this point in time. I catch him constantly asking me or other relatives what something says, without even trying to read it himself. I always answer with,"well, you've got eyes to read it with too. Don't you buddy?" and I make him read it. At this point in time, I think he dislikes reading and writing because he knows he is so far behind and it shames him. Avoiding it won't make him better at it though. I'll start off with reading comprehension and a verbal report of what he read and some word circle puzzles. After a little while I'll make him write his report in a few sentences.

[/B][/QUOTE]

I was the same way too---lingual skills were leaps beyond everyone else and math--well, math sucks (interestingly enough, my son who reads avidly has the same 'difficulty'. I think it has to do with the thinking processes. Mathematics tend to be more abstract while reading is more concrete, skills-wise. Altho everyday arithmetic is a different story--practical and easy.)

Sounds like you've got a plan, though. All the best of energies sent your way on this one!

Garnet