View Single Post
Old 03-24-2003, 07:06 AM   #11
Cloudbringer
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Grojlach:
Awg, this guy will have a new job elsewhere before you know it... There are always those who support his actions 100% in their own twisted logic and will make a big deal out of it to recruit him as a personal security guard; and they'll probably offer him a higher salary than he'd ever have dreamed of at his older job. He's about the last person in the world I'd think whose future job perspectives are bad.
Don't count on it! This area is very hard up for jobs in that range (ie: things that aren't highly technical or specialized), in fact Nacht was almost hired by that company for a job as one of their guards several months ago, but it's a very rough job market here right now.

I don't know if we have all the facts, but I do know of several people (locally) who have lost their jobs for doing nothing wrong by the rules they are supposed to follow. My own best friend was fired several years back when the bank she was head teller at had a rash of bogus checks being cashed by a guy who stole his dad's payroll machine and made out checks to himself. The rules at her bank said she should check HIS identification, which she did. They had a limit on how much cash she could give for one check (in writing) but her bosses had ROUTINELY verbally told her to go to a higher amount before asking for supervisory approval and it had been the norm for her to do so.

When this guy cashed his bogus checks at multiple branches, he HAD identification and WAS the person to whom the checks were made out....so tellers cashed his payroll checks. When the father pressed charges and got angry at the bank (which was the bank he used for business), the banking officials summarily fired all the tellers who had cashed the checks, finding minor reasons in each case. In my friend's case they cited that it was over her limit to cash without approval and refused to acknowledge that in actual bank practice and by verbal order of her superiors, she was doing what was approved in day to day operation of that branch.

FWIW, in this state an employer can fire an employee for any reason or without any specific reason unless they have a written contract (such as government employment). However, when my friend's employer tried to refuse her unemployment coverage after the above incident, she took them to court and won, as the Judge determined that the bank couldn't prove to his satisfaction that they had 'just cause' for firing her and refusing her benefits. She was hired by another bank a few months later and got a much better deal all around so it wasn't a total loss, but it did teach us a lesson in 'employment' law here.

I wish the security guard luck finding work and hope the mall officials realize that they need to have recognizable rules of conduct for their employees and should back those employees as long as they are doing their jobs correctly.

[ 03-24-2003, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: Cloudbringer ]