View Single Post
Old 09-10-2003, 04:19 PM   #56
Luvian
Ironworks Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbacca:
I must add that file-sharing isn' the sole reason for the decline in CD sales, but to imply it hasnt negatively impacted sales a meaningful way is bit naive in my opinion. I used to think that file-sharing might actually help CD sales as people could try before they buy, but the facts haven't materialized to support such an idea...yet.
Oh, I have no doubt piracy has it's role to play in the "downfall" of the music industry, but look at it this way. There are a lot more dissatisfied customers than there are pirates, and that's without considering all the dissatisfied pirates that would not buy any either.

And so what if a bunch of kids download 40 gigs worth of songs each? Do you think they would have bought that much music? It's not the number of songs that's important here, it's the buying power of the individual. When I was 12 I had enough money to buy maybe 1 cd per 3-4 months. I'm sure the music industry can survive without that important demographic...

When the music industry say "XX millions of dollars's worth of songs were downloaded off the internet this year", they really mean "a bunch of kids able to afford 100 000$ of songs in a year downloaded music for free on the net".

Of course the first version get a lot more sympathy, but if the music industry really think people whould have been able to afford the millions of songs downloaded each years, they are really overestimating their customers. Every pirates download a lot more than he could afford.

With my connection speed I could download one song every few seconds, but I could really afford maybe a cd or two per months.

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Luvian, you need a decent used CD store. Works for me.
Great! When can I start?