View Single Post
Old 11-09-2000, 01:24 PM   #7
Wyvern
Ironworks Moderator

Okay - given that some folks seem to be having trouble with items getting lost (through no fault of their own) I hauled out my hexeditor and slapped in a save file.
Here's what I figured out - character information, including inventory, is stored in multiple places within the save file. Running a test - if you modify only one of the character areas it won't take - you have to modify all the character areas. Now this could get tricky if you are unfamiliar with hexed and don't have some sort of backup source of information. What I did as a test was try to change one of my thiefs old keys for which I really had no further use to a glowstone to test it in a saved game in Collasium. Changing "gold key" to "Glowstone" in and of itself wasn't enough. Since I had another Glowstone in that save game with which to compare the data I noted that about 9 units before the text "Glowstone" in the inventory there were two characters which I guessed (and was correct) refered to the image for this item. So the image information as well as the inventory description had to be changed and all of this in multiple locations. Now this could get very dangerous if you have no idea what you're doing. It can be done but I would recommend real caution!

RINCEWIND: I'm a big fan of Pratchett too!! DEATH as a short order cook is classic!!! What wonderful books!!!

DEVNULL: Didn't I respond to your trouble finding D'Soto's element in another thread?? Sounded like you were just in the wrong location. Hope you did find it!!

Wyv