View Single Post
Old 12-16-2004, 12:02 PM   #48
Absynthe

Quote:
Originally posted by Memnoch:
Just a quick update on Mikka - she's pretty much all back to normal, except for her fur. I'm still careful with carrying her, but it was almost like nothing happened to her! She wasn't even licking it or anything. Animals must have a different pain threshold to people, eh.
Glad to hear your baby is doing well, Mem. She's a little cutie, very photogenic. (hint, hint)
Interesting thing about the way they react to pain, I was reading a study recently about that, and the gist of the research is that animals don't react the way we do for a couple of reasons: First, animals don't anticipate pain the way we do. Humans will obsess about an injury and anticipate the pain, so when we do feel it, it's twice as bad.
Secondly, it's contra-survival to advertise that you are injured. Small predators like cats are subject to predation by larger animals, so making a lot of noise or even evidencing that they're injured acts as a "come eat me" signal for larger predators.
The upshot to the article is that animals feel pain just as humans do, but react to it very differently. Well, looky there, I've rambled on again..