View Single Post
Old 11-26-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

Okay...I am doing a history paper on Chocolate and I have learned more than I care to tell you guys at this moment, but maybe I'll post my research some day for you all to enjoy.

Anyway, I learned that the original Olmecan (civilization before the Mayans that probably taught them about the use of chocolate beans), is the word Kakawa. This later became Cacao, and from there it gets interesting, but again, I will share my research later. Right now I am interested in what I saw at the store yesterday.

I went into a store that had 99% cocoa (the new way to spell cacao) and on the back of this package it had four different languages which all spoke of the 99% make-up of this chocolate packaged. I recognized three of the languages, but the fourth was written as "kakawa". I was wondering if was modern mayan or if another language in the world might translate chocolate like this.

I know that Spain was the country that first came across the mayans using chocolate and therefore I would think that maybe one of the five official languages of Spain might spell it like this, or is there another country that does? Or is this in fact proof that this chocolate comes from Guatemala?