View Single Post
Old 02-08-2005, 08:42 PM   #81
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Morgeruat:
And you're obfuscating the facts, he was murdered in cold blood in broad daylight for making a film that was critical of a barbaric death cult. I'll bet the only statements made by islamic authorities amounted to "we're innocent victims in this" and not a cult that breeds such hostility and hatred that killing a man in cold blood is not only acceptable, but the killers duty, and an act that brings honor on himself and his family, no melisine, it is YOU who have no idea what you're talking about.
My name is spelled "Melusine", Vincent van Gogh has been dead for over a century and the reasons for the murder of Theo van Gogh are not known as of yet.

I don't deny he was killed by an Islamic fundamentalist, I do doubt its sole cause was Submission, but much more general: van Gogh's personality, his years of insulting people's religions (Christian and Muslim alike, although I grant it was no Christian who killed him) and the hammering home, in incredibly one-sided and offensive way, of his radical opinions in many ways, including the movie.
It is laughable that you just go ahead and assume, no, BET, that you would in any way be able to divine what the reactions of Dutch muslims were - how can you know?
"You'll bet"?? I don't have to bet, I read the newspapers here everyday, see the news and walk in the area where it all happened. I don't need to bet.

I am proud to live in a country where Muslims felt welcome and safe enough to mourn alongside other Dutch people for Theo van Gogh, and ashamed at the same time of a country where idiot racists vandalised Mosques and set fire to schools to reward these Muslims. But I'm glad that at least there's one bigot not living here to add fuel to the hatred and ignorance.

[ 02-08-2005, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Melusine ]