View Single Post
Old 10-13-2004, 09:28 AM   #10
shamrock_uk
Dracolich

I believe it was the "cold dead hands" reference that is the link to BfC, which probably means you've been pigeon-holed into being a Moore liberal already.

As for the debate, i'm sure it will be interesting, if only because it's a debate and you might learn something. Debate is always a good thing because it forces you to re-assess old ideas which would otherwise become entrenched in your thinking if they were not questioned.

As for proof that banning guns reduces crime, I rather suspect it's like smoking. As far as I understand it, nobody has actually managed to prove that cancer follows smoking in the same way that 'a' follows 'b'. Yet the research is so compelling, and the coincidences so large, that any right-minded person would agree that smoking causes cancer.

All I know is, I'm much more likely to get shot in America than I am in the UK or Australia. It seems fairly obvious to me why that is, especially as most of the high publicity gun crime isn't caused by criminals.

But, it's your life, so if you value the 2nd amendment over the increased risk of you being shot then that's entirely up to you - I'm not living in the US, so it's not something that bothers me particularly. It just seems fairly common-sense that as you increase the number of guns in a country then you increase the risk of them being used in a harmful way.

[ 10-13-2004, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: shamrock_uk ]