View Single Post
Old 11-25-2000, 09:21 AM   #1
LilKid

Ok, I thought I'd voice a few little things at y'all, and see what you think.

1. The monk class. Is it just me or are all monks of the same level generally the same? You can have great diversity within the other classes, but monks have no real place to be diverse, other than the few thief points they get each level. All high-level monks are generally the same, with 1or more) STR and DEX, at least 16 CON, and the same equipment (Gauntlets of Crushing, Ring of Gaxx, Ring of Protection +2, Cloak of Mirroring). You can take any other class and do many things with it, just look at the differences between each of the thieves in BGII, or fighters. You can have a fighter/archer, fighter/swordsman, fighter/tank etc, all within the same class, and I won't even go into how diverse the mages are... I still play a monk, but it's very lame to have to play the same monk as every other BGII player out there (with the exception of alignment, and the stats that don't matter to a monk).

2. Does anyone play a multi/dual class that hasn't been done? We've all heard about the kensai mage dual-wielding katanas. Next... Anyone done a kensai thief? Imagine the backstab with Kai Shot! Although it would be a little hard to Kai, stealth, and hit in the 12 seconds required... But a kensai thief would be very cool I think. He could backstab hard even without Kai Shot, and since he's faster (and has boots of speed ) he can hit hard and run before the enemy can draw a bead on him. And it would be a lot more fun to play than a nigh-invincible kensai mage, and you could level him up to 12, or more, in his kensai class and still have plenty of points to spend on thievery. But I'm really sick of the whole fighter/magic user thing in general (fireshield, stoneskin, mirror image... agh... way too cheap for me) and the kensai mage is just a culmination...

3. Who actually uses backstab for a thief? It's an underrated ability, but I've killed many big enemies with backstab... That one guy in firkraag's place with the sewer key took 124 damage with a backstab, critical with blade of roses +3 and 19 STR (girdle of hill giant strength, normally was . If you did the kensai thief, you could do even more...