View Single Post
Old 09-22-2002, 12:30 AM   #14
Gregory Longshanks
Elite Waterdeep Guard

Quote:
Originally posted by whacky:
You know i was just wondering a while ago that the old chinese culture that they show in martial arts movies ....... did it ever exist and i was hoping someone here could help me answer this.
The culture: the mannerisms, values and beliefs held by the majority of Chinese particularly prior to Mao, did exist. And in many of the villages, still does. Certainly movies and television have somewhat distorted aspects of it, but then these genres do much the same to western culture as well.

As for the nature of martial arts...well, a couple things:1.) Wushu is the traditional name for all manner of martial arts in the general sense. It simply translates as "Great Excercise." Qi, refers to the emanation of internal energy from within the body. 2.) If one reads the great amount of Chinese writing from the dynastic periods, there are numerous references to the use of the martial arts. And in many of these writings (Buddhist or Taoist)the practitioners - usually monks/priests - frequently were said to perform amazing feats of martial prowess. Levitation was a common feat purported to be done.

However, as was mentioned by someone in an earlier post, many of the practitioners have taken their art with them (to the grave), while variations have also emerged and hidden or completely changed the original practices/movements of the original. Tai Chi Quan is a prime example. Now, Yang style is the predominant form of the art, with its slow movements. However, originally, the Chen style was the dominant form - it was faster and comprised of many more movements than the Yang. In fact Tai Chi was the most lethal of the martial art forms in China...and the hardest to master. Sorry to take up so much room.