View Single Post
Old 01-07-2005, 06:58 PM   #5
Lucern
Quintesson

I think another could fit: the American Eskimo.

I was about to suggest it anyway, because mine's great, but when I read what you were looking for...he matches that description really well.

They love the cold, very energetic, mine's super-friendly, bury their waste, barks at anything unfamiliar and dangerous animals, but not frivolously as long as he knows it's you. Now, all this and he's not even trained. Not even a little bit. lol. Oh, and he plays soccer!

Not sure what you consider fluffy, but he's hairy as all get-out. A large raccoon attacked him once, and couldn't get through all of the hair around his head. Now...-30 C isn't something that's been tested in Dallas, but protected from wind, he's been fine around 10 F. Not sure how far that goes on the cold end, but we provide extra shelter if it's above 100 F.

As for looks, he's pretty husky-esque, with a grey eye and a green one. Pure white coat that sheds very much in the spring, and a tail that curls upwards, from the Spitz breed I think.

One caveat is that I haven't tested his physical limits to runs of that length. Most is about 1 mile, but not something he's used to, as that doesn't happen very often.

Just something to think about...but as I consider it, an Am Eskimo is a lot like a husky, but smaller. That's going to limit what it can take in the cold, and how long it's going to be able to run without stopping. You may want to take the Husky (or Spitz even, though I don't know much about them), as a 'full sized' version of what I'm talking about. If you do, please don't let its nails/claws get out of hand. I get scratched badly every time I meet an indoor Husky. Husky's can be a little on the dominant side though, can't they?

[ 01-07-2005, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Lucern ]