View Single Post
Old 09-21-2003, 10:02 AM   #22
Sigmar
Unicorn

Quote:
Originally posted by Zero Alpha:
quote:
Originally posted by Zuvio:

I don't believe this mod should *ever* be allowed.

*snip*
This mod should be banned for the obvious reasons.
I thought americans had the right to a freedom of speech. you cannot ban something that is free, without being opressive.

Quote:
Shaggy Wrote:
I think its sad that someones always ready to cash in on someone else's misfortunes, says alot for us as a race dosent it.
mod makers dont charge. I have no idea how you think you can level the 'cash in' argument against a free mod.

IMHO, this could insult many people if they choose to take it personaly. these same people could also just not play it and not complain. i dont see why anyone who may be offened by it is 'forced' to download and play it. in short, if you dont like it, dont play it.
[/QUOTE]Mods can become consumer products in their own right, (again see "Counter-strike"), but you are right I suppose the cash-in argument doesn't really apply here.

As for the "don't like it, don't play" it suggestion. What if you knew of the existance of an illegal and amoral website on the 'net that violated moral and legal standards. Sure, you may never access the said site but wouldn't its existance annoy and yes, even offend you? Admittedly this isn't the same situation but I can see why those deeply affected by 9-11 would not like this mod to exist ANYWHERE, or distributed despite the fact it is free. The same reason why those against the illegal/amoral sites would not like them to exist.

Sure it's down to personal opinion I suppose, but people have to be aware of the boundaries of taste. However you paint it, this is in bad taste and as Barry the Sprout said way too early for those affected by the attacks. Perhaps later on a respectable homage (in the form of a game) can be created based on the events of 9-11. But this is not a respectable tribute, only offensive if anything IMO.

Thats my opinion.