View Single Post
Old 08-19-2001, 12:57 PM   #7
Kitty
Manshoon

Two-handed weapons (melee) have two major drawbacks: speed factor and the lack of a shield. But in BGII you'll find some really good two-handed swords - it's a shame if at least one party member can't wield them.
They are best wielded by someone with a good dexterity (for AC), two slots in two handed weapon style (for the critical hits and the speed bonus),very high strenght,preferrably 18/91 or greater (for the THAC0 and damage)and as many as possible proficiency points in a given two-handed weapon (for THAC0, hit, damage and speed). Well, enough said, let's make it short: the best wielder of a two-handed weapon is a fighter. I'm currently playing with a female berserker with all I said above - no regrets. Doing about 23 damage to an enemy in a single hit is awesome - imagine a critical hit!
Two weapon style also sacrifices your AC because you're not allowed to use a shield, and it brings penalties to THAC0 - but it doesn't have the speed problem. Although fighters can have 3 slots in two weapon style and get grandmastery, which deal a lot of damage, they have to spend too much time on getting proficiency points just to get rid of the penalties. In my sincere opinion, since rangers get 2 points on 2 weapon style as a bonus since the beginning, they make the best dual-wielders. However, if one doesn't bother about that, fighters are much better in the long run.
Cheers,
Kitty