View Single Post
Old 10-16-2002, 01:11 PM   #71
whacky
Emerald Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Continuing to read this thread jogs all the old physics memories and cleans out (a small amount of) the cobwebs. But, it makes me really more interested in the *silly string* theory than in anything else. (No, not a typo )

Okay you math geniuses (geniuii?), What about this:
A black hole's gravity is greater than the speed of light - no light escapes and time is warped. Okay, let's assume you are in a spaceship that can withstand the gravity, heat, etc. This gravity would mean that your acceleration rate (9.81 m/s2 here on Earth) as you fall toward the black hole would be quite high - high enough to make your velocity approach light speed as you were pulled toward the black hole. Your terminal velocity would then be infinitely close to the speed of light. Wouldn't this warp time to slow it down? I mean, it would pass normally for you, but the outside world would percieve you as unmoving and time-stopped (or infinitely close to time-stopped). What then? Does the black hole expire over time, leaving you to pop out into blank space before you crash into the center of the black hole, as you were unmoving for all intents and purposes?

Also, I understand the math behind the theory that "c" is the absolute universal posted Speed Limit. But, if the force created by a black hole keeps photons from escaping, wouldn't that cause objects falling at the black hole to move greater than the speed of light?

Okay, new HEADACHE. [img]graemlins/uhoh2.gif[/img]
That has got something to do with the quantised nature of the universe, if things were "analogue" i.e smooth a lot of things would have driven physicists crazy

Another stumbling block in my ideas is the question :
What happens to matter once it achieves the speed of light i.e if it ever can ?