View Single Post
Old 03-19-2001, 06:57 AM   #74
Memnoch
Ironworks Moderator

Today's update!

Dave Gaider (Senior Designer)
Justifying your actions to continue on: We actually argued a fair bit, ourselves, about including a third option to get into Chapter 3. We finally decided that the situation should be an unpleasant one, having to choose between the lesser of two evils. Had we had more time, we probably could have done a third option (through the Radiant Heart, was the idea being bandied about)...but the complexity and length of the quests involved in each side sort of prohibited it.

The Shadow Thieves aren't evil per se...just unethical. Even Linvail himself is simple True Neutral...although the fact that the Shadow Thieves have assassins certainly wouldn't bode well for them in the eyes of any paladin.

What it boils down to is, basically, whether you are willing to do the tasks that a side asks you to. I don't remember off-hand, but I'm pretty sure the Shadow Thieves' tasks are more benign.

But I'm glad you found a role-playing reason to justify going forward. That's the important thing...and until a game can encompass every decision or attitude a player might take (like a human GM could), justifying their actions is something that's going to crop up once in a while.

------------------
Memnoch - Custodian of the Order of the Holy Flame