View Single Post
Old 11-24-2001, 08:16 PM   #10
andrewas
Harper

cloud - the question here is the chance of getting a roll so far off of average. as in, on 2d6 you will get a 7 1/6 of the time, but only get a 12 1/36 of the time. the probabilities are curved, make a table if you dont understand why. these rolls are 3d6 (+-1 for some race mods, but that dont count), so its a pretty remote chance that someone will generate a roll of 102 AND get a 1% chance of getting 18/00 in the same roll. i think its 1%%% chance, wich it should be theoreticaly, but i think its more like 10% from my personal experience.

on the other hand these are PROBABLITLITIES, so someone out there will have generated straight 18s for their very first roll ever. and got the 18/00. this does not mean that you will get such a roll if you try long enough - the odds are 1 in several million. you wold probably take a month to get it. and then click past it before you recognised it.

and as far as no cheats is concerned - i draw a line between modifying the starting char - remember that you supposed to be coming from baldurs gate, an area with several stat-boosting tomes - and adding in equipment as so forth later on.