View Single Post
Old 04-23-2005, 11:18 PM   #1
Larry_OHF
Ironworks Moderator

#1. Sony DVD Direct 16x External USB 2.0 Double-Layer DVD±RW/CD-RW Drive

I hope this thing can do what it promises. I have been warned about a few things.

One, they say that even though this thing can use any format of DVD or CD to burn, that maybe my family members do not have the right DVD player on their TVs to view certain formats, such as DVD+R.(newer on the market) I was suggested to buy DVD-R instead (the older version), to better ensure that the DVDs would play in older format players. No biggie there, I suppose.

Two, I hear that even though this thing can connect to the PC through USB2.0, I should instead use Firewire (which it can do), which would be me having to buy a $40.00 card and a $30 cable. That would ensure better quality, but I bought this INSTEAD of having to get a DVD drive, fireware card, firewire cable, and software to run it.

Three, it records to analog, not digital, then converts back onto the DVD, using SCA cables, though it also has S-video, but that is also analog. What the flip?

Four, It says I can back up my old VHS movies by connecting right up to my VCR (a big plus for my decision) but looking online for customer reviews, one guy said that he tried to do that and did not know until after he burned the first DVD from VHS that the machine thought he was breaking a copyright, and did not record...even though it was a home video recording, and not a licensed professional-made video. Ai!

On the plus side...I got this so that I can make DVDs with the new camcorder I just bought. I needed something, and this seemed a better buy than plugging the camcorder to the PC, then burning it from there. Since this thing promised to also be able to turn VHS into DVD, I had a big reason for getting this instead of the PC components.

#2. Panasonic Palmcorder MultiCam MiniDV Camcorder

My second toy is the afore-mentioned Camcorder. I had to stay under $500 for it alone, so this is why I did not go for the one that was $200 more with the feature of "true" wide-screen opt. as well as a sensor for each color (RBG), instead of one sensor for the three. This one has a wide-screenish format that puts things into letter-box shape, but would not do well on 60" screens or nothing. I don't care. I will not own one that large anyway. The problem with this, and all cameras...is that they assume the person is right-handed. Freakers. Well...I am used to that shite by now, ya know. Anyway, I got the camera and an extra 4-hour battery pack (that came with a camera case and one DV tape.) I also picked out some DVD-R, for the reason I described above, though I hope to find a way to use DVD+R. What the difference is, yo no sé. I also hear from one guy online that only Sony DVDs work without error. And we thought Microsoft was the only ones doing dirty work like this!!! I picked up some Fuji, just because they were cheaper. If they do no work, I will mail the busted up DVD-Rs that are ruined to Sony headquarters with a stern note.

Now we have come to it. What are your opinions?

[ 04-23-2005, 11:19 PM: Message edited by: Larry_OHF ]