View Single Post
Old 07-18-2001, 04:13 AM   #26
Amergin
Zhentarim Guard

hmm, didnt mean to come off so bombastic. it's probably due to the fact that i'm a late convert to any 2-handed weapons at all and soul reaver is the only one that i like so far.

imo, 2-handed weapons don't cause enough damage, ESPECIALLY now that katanas do freakin 1-10 AND are considered one-handed. that's just not right. the very least they could have done was require an extra proficiency slot just to use it to account for its rarity and difficulty to master (so specialized would be 3 slots rather than 2, and grandmastery would require 6). but no. any schmuck from Tethyr can use a katana just like it was his grandfather's long sword. to see just how lopsided it's become, simply pretend that there are no magical versions to consider; would you choose a long sword+shield, katana+shield (aesthetically stupid but allowed), or 2-handed sword. judging from the posts in this forum, katana+shield would win in a landslide.

it's got to be a damn special weapon indeed if it's going to make me give up my shield and the potential +5 to my armor class (and possibly more vs missiles).