Thread: Buy Nothing Day
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2002, 11:17 PM   #10
SSJ4Sephiroth
Beholder

I don't believe any of you have ever heard of protesting an ideal? It didn't say you shouldn't buy gifts or drive or give up any rights; it's not admitting that the merchants have 'won' anything, as it's not making a fuss, you're just not showing up. It's just one day that corporations see as a time to exploit people and their eye for a 'deal'. The people who devised this idea didn't force anyone to do it, mind you, they just suggested it. Personally, I see it as just a protest of the day I call 'Corporate Frenzy Day', on which people go completly insane in their fervor to acquire items at a slightly lower price. The gifts will still be there the next day, or will be back in stock in a week or so, so why fight the crowds?

It is not like protesting the Catholic Church for that; it is protesting the way corporates abuse our frenzy for slightly lower prices. If you don't want to do it, then don't. It's just a suggestion for anyone who may want to make a statement, albiet small, to the high-ups.

And as for ignoring the privileges we have, may I ask where in God's name you got that from out of all of that? Not shopping on one day isn't ignoring any priviiges we have except for the ability to engage in rampant Capitalism.