View Single Post
Old 02-15-2003, 06:18 PM   #43
Tobbin
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaskez:
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry_OHF:

One question. Does XP work well with people who constantly upgrade their system, like installing new memory, video cards, sound cards, adding a second HD...etc.? What tells Microsoft that you are running the same XP cd on two PCs? The hardware configuration? So...if I buy some new toys to throw in there, my OS will not work?
NO because every major hardware change you will have to reactivate it! And after 3 activations (as I have heard) you can no longer do it over the web but must do it by phone.[/QUOTE]This isn't entirely true. It depends on how much stuff you change. If you just add on hardware, it normally won't affect the system. Adding memory hasn't triggered it. Adding a Scanner hasn't affected it. Adding a TV card didn't affect it. A friend change the motherboard, which did affect it. Another friend changed out his HD, which also affected it (he had to re-install XP on his new HD). I added a 2nd HD, which did not affect it. Changed out a keyboard, did not affect it. Changed the mouse, did not affect it. A friend changed out his video card, did not affect it. My nephew changed out his modem, which did not affect it. Changed out the monitor, no effect. I think it's mainly if the CORE components are affected whether or not you have to re-register. Again, I don't make a lot of changes all at 1 time, so that may trigger it. If you do regular upgrades you shouldn't have a problem.