View Single Post
Old 09-06-2004, 03:26 PM   #14
Lucern
Quintesson

Argh, I had just finished this post and tried to reply when I was disconnected. I'll try to re-create it.

The division of classes seems to work great from here. I had actually forgotten that the monk even existed, because I've never seen it properly implemented in a non-hack'n slash-only game. They certainly fit the bill as a special sect of certain Order societies.

Clerics are my favorite class, but I can see why you gave 'em the axe in this case.

I thought of a position that rogues might be able to fill within Order society - that of smooth-talking bureaucrat or leader. Those he dealt with wouldn't realize that s/he's a silver-tongued rogue of course, and s/he probably wouldn't have chosen the more thief-like abilities. Assassins would be unaffiliated, but might be in semi-frequent employ of the leaders of Order. This depends on how corrupt your Order societies are.

I like how you've dealt with the fighter classes, particularly with the restriction on heavy armors for chaos fighters. Alternately, I thought of two ways to circumvent the difficulty of forging such armors for Chaos. There was a kind of armor in the Arms and Equipment Guide for 2nd Ed called Patchwork Platemail, which I believe would start out as good as a simple (but trashy looking) suite of platemail, but steadily declined in effectiveness as the fighter took heavy hits. It was like a poor man's plate, or short term replacement armor. I think bad hits could lower your ability to fight until you could readjust, as plates wedged into you in awkward ways.

It could also be standard practice for Chaos fighters to target knights of Order who wore heavy armors. Once slain, the armor would be worn as a trophy as well as excellent protection. These would be passed on when no longer needed (or wouldn't fit properly), so a lucky young chaos fighter might be awarded such a suit if it fits. This could also create an interesting encounter if a relative of the slain knight finds his/her family crest adorning the beat-up platemail of such a fighter!