View Single Post
Old 06-12-2002, 05:00 PM   #12
Morgeruat
Jack Burton

one point to make lawful anything doesn't mean they stictly or blindly obey laws, if a Paladin went to a kindom where daily ceremonial sacrifice of slaves was the law he would not participate, and unless the mission he was on was incredibly important he would attempt to influence people to change the laws, or in extreme cases help the unfortunates caught in the wheels of the political machine to bring down the government and bring about change through revolution there is a paladin kit in the paladins handbook where the paladins homeland either government, church or a combination of the two has erred or become corrupted and the paladin refused to go along with it and declared himself an Expatriot of that government or church, and while still lawful good and working to uphold and forge just laws seeks to overthrow the ones responsible for the fall into evil.

Whereas lawful evil would of course exploit the system to profit himself, and Lawful Neutral probably wouldn't care as long as the government was efficient.

Lawful good isn't as stringent as some people like to think of it, mainly it deals with a person's inner discipline, I see a chaotic neutral fighter as someone who would grow fat and lazy if not constantly adventuring and doing other things to keep himself fit, there is a lack of discipline in the personallity that influences how they react to laws, a very disciplined monk would find it impossible to behave in a chaotic manner, just as a chaotic evil mage wouldn't put on fireworks displays for children without 1) using one of the children as a bottlerocket, or 2) getting an obscene amount of payment for services rendered, and possibly adding some of #1 to #2.