View Single Post
Old 08-23-2001, 01:47 PM   #21
Horus - Egyptian Sky God

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaz:
YAHOO! i thought I was the only one here!!! CELEBRATE!!! Khalid you are not alone you have friends at Ironworks Forum!!!

you are not along in the world, brother. most children develope more or less kind speech disorder during their years of learning language. I dont know the exact figures, but even adults tend to be stuttering when they are under extreme pressure

of course, it is not the same for everyone. as most children adopted a more completed and stronger personality when they walk into adulthood, they could rid of themselves the problem of stuttering.

stuttering is not something formed in one day. when a child is young, the often discourage behaviors from parents, especially mother, can cause a damage in the language learning process. because mother is the first teacher that a child contacts, and mother expresses her own idea of the world by constantly talking to her child. if parents are impatience, not-observant to the many common speech problems that a child might have, the child will be fearful of communication around others, etc

of course, that is not the only reason why someone stutters. but remember that, most stuters are not pre-linguistically disabled. it is something called Fear that masters your situation, and more than often, stutters know this. knowing doesn't equal to improving until one is determined to face his fear.

i will give you some simple tips that you might find useful:

first of all, list a series of situations that you might find difficulty stand, from the lowest to the highest, and i will use my case here:

1. talking to a new friend when we are alone
2. talking in front of mroe than two friends
3. talking to a complete stranger (most of the time, professor)
4. talking to a group of unfamiliar people
5. making presentation in class

start with the first, and patiently but firmly advance. DO NOT be afraid to talk. if you think you have the potential to talk to certain people, and at the same time, you fear is telling you to get the hell out. DONT, try start some short conversations, then build it longer as you get used to it.

just remember, the best way to battle fear is to stand up and face it. of course, you must know your limit and take time in the process. be ready, it is long.

second tip is:
imagine someone that is confidence, Shalock Homles (sp?), Winston Churchil (sp?), one fo your best friend (maybe?) and always think about how those people do things

third tip:
constantly encourage yourself. you need a possitve attitude to face your problem, and you must know it will not go away itself until you do something about it. just remember to say those phrases everyday:" I will remain calm and confidence. even if I screw up a conversation, I woudn't care about it." something like that, and of course, you must firmly believe what you say.

one last advice, DO NOT EVER SHUT YOURSELF FROM THE REST OF THE WORLD. this is a warning, a suggestion and a painful experience I got from the past. DO NOT EVER!!