View Single Post
Old 04-02-2001, 12:31 PM   #83
Ramon de Ramon y Ramon
Red Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir_Tainly:
Hi Ramon,

You can talk about strangely spelt place names, COL-OG-KNEE!

My father actually spent some time in Koln (whats the code for an umlaut?), but he always claims he ended up learning German with a regional dialect. Is it true that Koln has a strong accent?

Milord, sorry, I don't know the codes for Umlaute as I am using a German keyboard with own keys reserved for Umlaute, but on the "German" thread on the GD forum Cb asked the same question and the incomparable Archbabe Melusine answered and listed some codes/shortcuts. Another possibility is to load other keyboard configurations into Windows and switch to one of these when writing in another language. That is the way I do it whenever I write in Spanish/Catalan/French.

Yes, Cologne has its own regional dialect which is very distinct from official "High German" and in which the locals take much pride, but Western and Nothern German dialects generally tend not to carry over to High German as much as much the Southern ones like Bavarian. But Rhinish people, especially from Cologne, can still often be identified when speaking High German by a certain "melodic" way in their intonation or accentuation. It is called the "Rhinish singsang" - and it sure feels like home for me !

------------------
So long !

R³ - Co-president(s) of the Club of Broken Hearts