View Single Post
Old 04-02-2001, 10:59 AM   #82
Hesperex

Quote:
Originally posted by Charlie:
Hesperex, where is Great Britain ?

Just tried to find the country of Great Britain on the map. Don't exist. Personally I detest with a passion being referred to as British, I also hate seeing blue in the English football teams strip when there's none in our national flag and I despise seeing the Union flag representing ENGLAND at International events. Whilst people instantly recognise a Scot as a Scot or an Irishman as an Irishman it seems the English are too often referred to as British (as opposed to the Scot's etc being labelled British) and it seems to me that the English are fast losing their identity. Christ, the amount of English people that don't even know the date of our own patron Saints day is imho shameful. Anyway, gripe over

I'm an Englishman from England btw.

Point taken, but the reason I said Great Britain was because as you say England is not always recognised, particulary outside of Europe, I am English but I am also British. Britain is England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. It's is the name under which we carved our colonial Empire. Great Britain is a name to be proud of. But I am English and I am very proud to be so, and let no one forget which nation conquerd Scotland, Wales and Nothern Ireland. Obviously all this conquest talk could get me into a nasty argumant with people from the aformentioned nations, particularly Ireland. I am not advocating conquest I am simply saying it happend, and I am proud of the empire we once had under the flag of Great Britain. Unless you are a football, rugby or cricket supporter you are not likely to recognise the English flag if you are not from either England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or France. The Australian flag has the British flag 'Union Jack' in the corner not the English flag. I know that a lot of Ausies are avid cricket, rugby fans so will no doubt know the English flag but how many Americans can honestly say they would recognise the English flag if they saw it? I know they would recognise the British flag but what about the English.?? or how many Germans would know it?

------------------

My website http://hesperex.8k.com
Hesperex Freth: 1st son of Matron Mother Shi'nayne Freth, 1st house of Ched'Nesad. Weapon master and patron of house Freth.