View Single Post
Old 12-06-2004, 06:13 PM   #20
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

*walking around the mines*

Looking back up at my post, I probably should have put "bad behavior" in quotes. I don't consider it bad behavior, but others do, and quite vehemently. Fortunately, most of them tend to stay away from here

My point is that as much as you feel that spam is rotten and evil (to paraphrase), there are people who feel the exact same way about gaming. Whether you or I think they're right is beside the point; it's what they believe, and they're entitled to their belief.

How many of "them" would it take to decide to turn this screen saver so it focuses on IW instead of some spammer? How many would it take before the IW server fell to its knees under the onslaught? Not many, quite frankly, and fewer than one might think.

Once you open the door to a DDOS on spammers, you open it to DDOS on other nasty groups too. Who could argue with doing it to the pedophiles? To the sexual abusers? How do you know you're DDOSing the right person? The right IP?

You don't. Not until it's all over. And wouldn't you like to be the one to be responsible for launching a DDOS against the compromised computer of some poor family, some poor family whose only phone service is Voice over IP, whose VOIP couldn't be used to call emergency to get an ambulance when little Suzie started choking on a hot dog, and then died?

That's a contrived situation, to be sure. But... is it impossible? No. And in fact, spammers are probably going to try to use computers just like these to do their dirty work.

Gaming good. Spam bad. DDOS to combat spam: also bad.

My [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img]
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.