View Single Post
Old 12-18-2000, 01:35 PM   #8
Orion

actually, they licensed their 4 way sli to Qunatum 3D who is now using not 4 but 8 of the VSA-100 chips in some of their high-end graphics work stations (big contract with military simulation type stuff).
the V5-6000 would not really have been a cash cow product from the beginning because a $600 video card is NOT a mainstream product.
The V5 has not gotten bad reviews. It got some pretty bad previews but that was due to bad drivers at the time.
Some sites like sharkyextreme didn't give it great reviews because all they do is look at bench marks and kiss nvidia's butt on every review. A site i respect more, firingsquad.com, gave it a good review and they looked at image quality too, not just bench marks. the V5 can hold its own in speed too. 70 frames per second at 1024x768 in Unreal Tournament on an AMD-750 isn't bad folks. Plus, contrary to what a poster said above, the card is not "based" on glide. It still supports it of course because 3dfx created glide!! It's fully directX 8 and openGL compatible too.
Sorry, I didn't really mean to start ranting like this : ) I just read some things that i've heard other places and that aren't true. Heck! I own the stupid card and a couple of my friends have geforce 2's. I'm not missing anything.
If you're an RPG're especially of 3D rpgs I'd recommend a V5 just for the full-scene anti aliasing. I run W&W at 640x480 d3d. 1. I don't get the blurred text and 2. with FSAA it looks bloody sweet even at that low a res. That's what it was meant for.
OKAY!! I'm done. Back to W&W.