View Single Post
Old 04-11-2003, 12:45 PM   #30
Sir Kenyth
Fzoul Chembryl

There are soooooooo many problems trying to apply old rules to new technology. I bought many cassette tapes when I was a young teen. Even though I have long lost the originals, do I still have license to the music? Can I copy it off the internet and claim it is now a backup copy? Can I allow people on the internet to listen to music files on my computer as long as the file isn't transferred and is plyed from my storage location? If I can't do that then why am I allowed to play music for everyone at a party or a club? Why am I allowed to use a VCR to record my favorite TV show or movie playing on TV or music playing over the radio and yet not allowed to record music transmitted over the internet? It's a tough mess! There is a lot of serious work needed in this area! The recording industry is also going to have to realize that selling CD's is on it's way out the door and that buying single tracks that are going to be digitally stored is where it's going. Look at the new MP3 players. It will be rough for profits as they will no longer be able to prepackage unpopular music with the popular to force it's sale. Pricing per song will also not allow the quandry of a twenty song CD costing the same as a ten song CD. Like I said, it's going to require a lot of work and change to straighten this mess out.