View Single Post
Old 01-03-2003, 08:04 AM   #1
skywalker
Banned User

Rangel calls for resuming military draft
By Associated Press, 12/31/2002 02:51
NEW YORK (AP) Rep. Charles Rangel says he plans to introduce legislation to resume the military draft in the event of a war against Iraq.

In an opinion piece published in Tuesday's editions of The New York Times, Rangel, D-N.Y., said he would ask Congress next week to support his proposal.

Rangel, a veteran of the Korean War, said be believed Congress would be less likely to support war if a draft were instituted.

''I believe that if those calling for war knew their children were more likely to be required to serve and to be placed in harm's way there would be more caution and a greater willingness to work with the international community in dealing with Iraq,'' Rangel wrote.

He said military service should be a ''shared sacrifice'' asked of all able young Americans and that minorities make up a ''disproportionate number'' of enlisted troops.

''Service in our nation's armed forces is no longer a common experience,'' said Rangel, who voted against the Congressional resolution authorizing President Bush to use force against Iraq.

Rangel said his legislation would require ''alternative national service'' for people who are physically unable to serve and for those who refuse to serve for ''reasons of conscience.''

President Bush has said he doesn't intend to revive the draft, which ended in 1973.

From: http://www.boston.com/dailynews/365/...ng_mili:.shtml

Very interesting idea, but I doubt that it will get anywhere. I think it's a good idea because I think that the youth of America are losing direction.

I regret not "joining up" when I was young.

Mark
skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote