Thread: Smoking Ban
View Single Post
Old 05-08-2003, 11:00 AM   #43
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by WillowIX:
And I`m pretty sure all means of security is taken when bungee jumping or climbing rocks. The same cannot be said when driving without seat belt.
Yes, but this high security is taken by the people providing the services, based on their desire to avoid a liability lawsuit. It is provided by the market. And, all the rock climbers I know just walk up to a cliff and start climbing with whatever gear they feel like bringing. Same with bungee jumping on your own (except you go down instead of up [img]tongue.gif[/img] ).

Oh, and I also mentioned motorcycles. Make note: in the last 10 years several states have repealed their mandatory helmet laws. Now, forgive me for saying so, but helmets are much more integral to surviving your typical motorcycle crash than seatbelts are to surviving your typical car wreck. This brings out a good point -- that the laws are not based on what is reasonable or safe for society, but rather which group feels like bringing its lobbying force to bear long enough to threaten a politician with votes and get the gubbermint to do what you want it to.