Thread: The City
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
manikus
Jack Burton

Default Re: The City

The City project is now live. Actually, I put the page up last night but then went to babysit my 5 month old nephew. I tweaked the base.zip this morning for good measure...

The City project is now ready for your participation. Please see the The City webpage for a diagram of the layout and to download the base package, which is weighing in at a slim 1038499 bytes (less than 1 MB) and would have been smaller had I remembered to take out the sound files.
Notice that there are no monsters in the monster database. This is so we can build the monster database together and only include monsters that are being used. This is to help keep the file size manageable (not just in size, but in quantity of files).
When you upoen the design in DC, your editor should populate the design with some of the default art, like a title image, but if it doesn't, don't worry. We can add anything we want to this project.

Here are the rules -
(1) You have to continue to use the resolution established and and viewport and bigpic sizes - the resolution is 640x480
(2) You're not allowed to change anybody else's section but you can collaborate - if you see any typos or other bugs, just post about them here
(3) Keep it PG-13, i.e. fit for consumption by 13 year olds and older
(4) You section of the city comes with 4 extra levels to use as you see fit - second story, sewer, dungeons, etc. - they are the 4 levels immediately following your Ward level
(5) First come, first served - the sooner you let us know which Ward you've chosen, the better.
(5a) Once you've chosen your Ward, the first thing to do is to link to the Wards around it which do not already have a link, for example all Wards that can initially be chosen are linked to the City Center. Post the link locations here so other designers can match up their links. Again, this is first come, first served - if you announce first, you get to decide. But, as always feel free to negotiate with your neighbors to work out something that is mutually beneficial
(6) Do not change the level linking events that have been placed in your level - PM me with any changes you would like an I will take care of it so that it goes in the base for everybody

I think that about covers the rules part, now let me get to what we can do (which will hopefully answer some of the questions that have arisen).

City Style/Theme - whatever you would like. For example, do you want to do something that looks sci-fi (PM me about items)? Go for it! I only ask, but don't require that you try and think up a reason why the stting/theme is different from the other Wards of the city.
Art - anything goes. You can use any of the great pieces posted on the various websites or create brand new art. Use whatever you would like, and ask away to request new art, too.
NPCs - feel free to make as many NPCs as you need for your Ward. Collaborate with your neighbors if they have someone you would like to occasionally visit your Ward.

Any questions? Anything I didn't cover? I always forget at least one important thing, so please let me know what it was this time.

Edited to add: I forget to mention that you may change the artwork that is put in each of the levels by default to mark where the transfer to the City Center is, just note that that is what it looks like coming from the other direction.

Last edited by manikus; 10-04-2008 at 12:15 PM.
manikus is offline   Reply With Quote