Thread: Life lessons
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2001, 06:13 PM   #14
Yorick
Very Mad Bird

Alright Zekke,
This was written after I read a couple of posts in the aforementioned thread, so it is circumstancially driven, but it is a perspective I maintain.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

There was a film I saw once, might have been a comedy or something, and this black guy was talking to someone depressed about what a strange thing it was that some humans loose the will to continue existing. He said (in jive accent):
"You never see an eagle flapping along in air suddenly say to himself "Man, it's such a drag being an eagle, I've had enough" and just stop flapping so he fall downs till he hits the earth.....you never see that."

To me finding the joy in the struggle rather than just the success is important. How many of us would play Baldurs Gate without A CHALLENGE? How many would go see a movie where no one has any problems concerns or challenges? It seems the negatives in this life give the positives their value, their worth. Food tastes better when we are hungry, sleep's precious when we're tired, life is precious because it ends, peace and serenity are so desirable because there is so much conflict - both internal and external.

The struggle defines us, gives us depth and strength of character and lets us connect with each other on a deeper, stronger level. Which to me is close to what it's all about. Connection with each other is so vital, so intrinsic to our most basic need and the source of so much joy, and yet so much sorrow when it is destroyed or denied.

I look at myself holding a glass of water and contemplate the billions of signals being sent to move my hand. I reflect on the sensations of tasting the liquid as I drink it and reflect further on my self awareness and remind myself that it is all a miracle, and all a bonus. I was born in this world without even the ability to feed myself, and did nothing to 'deserve' or 'earn' the gift this life is.

My hopes, plans and dreams my go unrealised, but relative to the many everyday miraculous wonders I can experience - and yet mostly ignore because of their abundance - these setbacks are so small, so few.

It is CHOOSING to view this perspective, and choosing to thank the creator for it all - constantly - that has kept me putting one foot in front of the other during my blackest times.