Thread: The Draft
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2002, 12:11 PM   #44
Melusine
Dracolisk

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthdog:
Sorry but im not trying to come across as arrogant pompous sexist or even the slightest bit rude on the subject. Im just stating my opinion. And in my opinion most women cant do the same physical work that men can do.

Oh I absolutely agree with you there, that's a completely different point, isn't it?
I agree that physically, men are stronger than women (generally speaking), but I was arguing against the other implication of your post, namely that men are mentally stronger as well, which IMNSHO is a load of BS.

Caleb, you completely miss the point. Believe me, I KNOW that men suffer rape and abuse too - it is one of the most terrible things on this world. In our days, there has been some small progress made in creating an environment where women feel safe enough to speak out against abuse, and even find the courage to talk of their own experiences. In the case of men or boys being abused or raped, however, there is no such social acceptance, and most of them will repress the experience for fear of the reactions they'll get. That is not the point of my argument.
My point is, in the majority of the cases, men are raped by OTHER men, not by women.
There is an unbalance in the power structure. Almost everybody knows a woman who's suffered abuse at the hands of a man - so a man saying that women in general are weak, MENTALLY weak, is disgusting to me.