View Single Post
Old 05-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #48
Cerek
Registered Member
Iron Throne Cult

Default Re: Osama Bin Laden is dead - USA has body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Loftis View Post
Well it's either an incorrect or incomplete fact. As Rush Limbaugh described on his radio show, Obama was presented with several missions that involved various ways to "nuke" the target and lay waste to the compound. It was his own plan to insist on putting boots on the ground and send in SEAL Team 6. He wanted the DNA, he wanted the proof. If Rush can give credit, I'd think you could.
He chose the operation and authorized it. I give him credit for doing that. I also give him credit for telling he CIA Director to keep the pursuit of bin Laden as his #1 priority shortly after taking office.

The actual success of the mission, however, goes to those that were on the ground and the ones that gathered the intelligence that made the mission possible in the first place.

I was going to suggest to people go back and re-read my first post, especially since Wellard was kind enough to re-post it for everyone (thanks, Wellard ). If you do that, you will see that I did not criticize Obama in any way, I just didn't give him full credit for the success of the mission. I didn't even suggest Obama was taking full credit, just that others were doing so.

I realize there are some who consider anything less than 100% sycophantic support of Obama to be the same as criticism, but there's not much I can do about that.

I finally got to watch Obama's full speech this morning. Overall, I felt he gave an excellent speech - probably the best of his career, in fact. Some folks (in discussions on other forums I visit) felt he put a little too much emphasis on "I" did thus and such at the beginning of he speech, but he wasn't taking credit for anything he didn't do and some of the points were things ONLY he could have done (like given final authorization for the operation). Some of the other points were things I considered to be part of his job; meeting with his staff members regularly and staying on top of the situation. But this IS an epic victory for him no matter how you look at it and will likely serve to cement his standing as the most historic President in modern times. It will also probably cement his victory in 2012 as well. So, I can't blame him for crowing just a little bit. I do think he deserves that much.

Oh....I also give him credit for timing his speech to "coincidentally" pre-empt the last 15 minutes of The Apprentice. Now that is the kind of Executive Decision I can appreciate.

As I said before, I give Obama the credit he deserves for the mission, I just don't give him all the credit. And he did the same thing - giving proper credit where it was due.