Thread: AMD vs Intel
View Single Post
Old 05-23-2003, 11:09 PM   #6
TheCrimsomBlade
Lord Ao

Differences between a Pentium and Celeron processor

Q. What is the difference between a Pentium processor and a Celeron processor?

A. Both microprocessors are made by Intel. Pentium IV is the premium product. Currently, its highest speed is 3.06 gigahertz. Celeron is used in budget machines; it has a Pentium IV core and runs as high as 2.2 GHz. The other difference is in secondary (L2) memory cache. Pentium has 512 kilobytes; Celeron, 128 KB. L2 cache stores commands in an effort to predict what you will do next. So, the machine runs faster. With four times the memory, Pentium IV would seem more likely to run faster. But in the real world, Celeron works well with most applications and the Internet. As for gaming applacations Pentium 4 is far in the lead of every other processer in performance and speed and pulling away from the pack daily including the AMD processor that is stuck at a stand still at 2.5GHZ and pentium is already said that A 4.6GHZ and faster is in development.

from PC WORLD magizine
__________________________________________________ ______________________________________

I had a celeron a few years back and up graded the first time to the pent 3 and now I have a number of different computers and three have pent 4 with 2.6GHZ processors or faster and 90% of the time I use them only for Gaming so I'll never go back to celeron or AMD athlon for Gaming but this is my choice. The pentium seem to be more in tune with the game industry and perform better with the new High powered 3D accelerators and within the next few years I think most games will be 3D at least the good ones will be.

I hope we helped you! [img]graemlins/twocents.gif[/img]