View Single Post
Old 05-27-2003, 12:55 PM   #66
Cerek the Barbaric
Ma'at - Goddess of Truth & Justice

Quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:
quote:
Originally posted by LordKathen:

This is crazy. The notion that someone famous has to live a life up to someone elses standards or morals is rediculous. They are not responsable for others actions at all. If your child runs out and lights up a smoke becouse they saw Kidman smoking, means you have some parenting to work on. Maybe if the T.V. wasnt considered a babysitter, and parents spent more quality time teaching the values they want their children to have to them people would truly be free to be themselves. This is what I am afraid of most. The "hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil" syndom is just not reality, and our children will grow up completly unprepared for the real world if they are sheltered from it.
Did anyone read this? I hate to quote myself, but I want to be heard. I cant believe some one the opinions here stating that there is a moral responsability by the artist. Unbelievable! This country will most certainly be under a dictatorship if ideas like this make it to the top. And whos "morals" are we talking about? Yours, mine, gods, the presidents, my nieghbers? We have laws to keep people in line. We have parents to keep influencial kids in line. Stop blaiming everyone else for your inability to govern your children. (general statement there) And why Kidman? We see lots of "immoral" things on T.V., why is this any different? [/QUOTE]Lord Kathan - "Who's morals are we talking about?" For the most part, the morals that are considered to be the societal norm for the time. In the 1950's, smoking was literally a part of everyday life. It was also a very important status symbol. Corporate board rooms used to have a row of ashtrays down the middle of the table because all the corporate V.I.P.'s were expected to be smokers. An award for excellence in journalism is presented every year in honor of Edward R. Murrow. And the picture they always show when this award is presented is one of Murrow with an ever-present cigarette hanging out of his mouth.

I believe it was Aelia Jusa that mentioned the fact that Kidman didn't "light up" until the interview was basically over and all the questions had been asked. As she pointed out, there was no good reason for the media to even record her smoking - much less paste it all over the news and entertainment shows. But today's "societal norm" is that smoking is "bad" and should be avoided. So they caught a celebrity "being naughty" and that one action got far more coverage than the actual movie she was promoting.