View Single Post
Old 05-07-2003, 05:06 AM   #9
Melusine
Dracolisk

Ah, thanks for the update Timber, that reminds me.
I wanted to reply to the discussion about the quality of the food, esp. with regard to vegetarian food in the previous thread, but I wanted to be 100% sure of what I was saying.
Yesterday I had lunch at Mac's though so now I know that what I thought was right.
I heard several people mention in the previous thread that Burger King's and McD's fry in animal fats etc.
In the Netherlands, the fries are ALWAYS fried in 100% vegetable fat. Also, MacDonalds does have a completely vegetarian burger here, which can even be eaten by vegans (i.e. no animal fat in dressing, no cheese, etc) and which my vegetarian friends assure me tastes pretty good. Apart from that, I remember people complaining about the salads. I checked, and here you can get salads with lettuce, cucumber, tomato etc and either tuna, chicken or nothing. The dressings are all given seperately so you can choose to eat your salad with no dressing at all. They also added a fruit salad to the menu, which consists of sliced pieces of fruit only. And you can now get a yoghurt/muesli thingy at McD's, too. So there seems to be a little better choice for health freaks here, even if McDonalds is never competely healthy I think. But at least vegetarians can order fries with their Veggie Burger without having to eat animal fats.
I remember when I was abroad, the fries at McDonalds tasted disgusting and I found out it was because they were fried in animal fat - you can really taste a clear difference. Anyway, I knew that there were slight variations in the McDonalds menu based on local specialties or religions, but apparently they sometimes prepare the food differently too.

Edit after reading Pcgiant's post... whoa! Salads are normally priced here.
Oh and the only American fast food giants available in Holland are Burger King and McDonalds

[ 05-07-2003, 05:08 AM: Message edited by: Melusine ]