View Single Post
Old 05-03-2003, 02:00 PM   #15
Sir Heinrich Godfrie IV
Zhentarim Guard

I think it was last saturday or maybe sunday I saw a show on MSNBC about the various epidemics in the past several hundred years.

It was quite interesting even though I didn't see the whole show.

They of course talked about the Bubonic plague, Small pox, flu, SARS, etc...

What really shocked me was the fact that the Bubonic plague, aka Black death, still occurs in the U.S. and elsewhere around the World, to the tune of several hundred - either cases or deaths (unsure) per year!

During the show they talked about how the former Soviet Union had an extensive Bio-program in which, by the accounts of some of their former scientists, the USSR developed viruses/bugs/diseases that ARE NOT cureable!

And they also specifically engineered some so that they would MUTATE themselves, similiar to what SARS is doing now.

So anyways, near the end of the show they pretty much elluded to the conspiracy theory that terrorists some how (maybe) unleashed SARS. Although I have heard evidence to the contrary.

And if they weren't responsible for SARS they may see BIO-terror as one of the most effective forms for killing and most of all scaring innocent people.

Now this is of course, primarily speculative, but it is still undoubtebly plausable and alarming!