View Single Post
Old 04-23-2003, 06:38 AM   #38
Epona
Zartan

I love computer games and the internet.

But for me it's just something I do when I have nothing else planned (or like now when I'm trying to avoid housework!) I have a very active social life, and would rather be out drinking or dancing or in an art gallery than playing NWN, although that is fun when I have nothing else to do. I have a moderate amount of friends, most of whom are not in the least bit interested in PC games, and some of them like to take the piss (in the way friends do) about the fact I spend time playing games or on the internet. Mostly it's about my time spent on the internet.

And on that note, the internet has greatly expanded my circle of friends and my social life! I would never have met so many great people if it hadn't been for my computer. I've now met over 100 people that I have talked to online (I am going for the world record LOL) - and this is in part because I like face to face interaction, and get off my butt to go meet people. The site I've met most of these people from is definitely not full of geeks or overweight gamers, although all of them have an interest in PCs, the internet, or PC games (otherwise they wouldn't be online in the first place). They are basically a bunch of ordinary people, with different interests and tastes, and I've not met a single one who would fit into that stereotype. They are attractive, witty, fun people to be with.

All I can say is that anyone who believes that sort of stereotype should get out more. They are the sad bastards, not us.