View Single Post
Old 04-22-2003, 08:54 AM   #32
Grojlach
Zartan

Quote:
Originally posted by Timber Loftis:
Final thought: anyone who thinks all classical is more musically developed than all rock has never hear Phish, which is as technically talented, learned, skilled, and complex as Mozart - whether you like their music or not.
I don't think the two should even be mentioned in the same sentence, but either way: classical music is in an entirely different league than modern day music. I'm not saying it's better or worse (because I fear we'll get a tiresome "is not!" "are too!" debate ), it's just... different. Not only the way of composing, instrumentation, scale, structure, timelessness, depth, climax building, length, focus, purpose and many other aspects, but the listening experience just the same... The cultural backgrounds and the timesetting in which the music was composed play a role as well.
Except on a purely subjective level and open to a lot of criticism, I doubt it's really possible to say how "Phish is as talented, learned, skilled and complex as Mozart"; we're talking about two different kinds of expression of art alltogether. It's almost like saying how Phish is as talented, learned, skilled and complex as Vincent van Gogh, you just can't compare the two.