View Single Post
Old 03-10-2003, 11:53 AM   #8
Felix The Assassin
The Dreadnoks

Question Mark

I can give you two examples, hopefully the terms can help you.

Camera 1. 5 yr old Kodak, 1.2 MP. Prints nice up to 3x5. No digital zoom, and only 2x optical. Good for just snap shots. Use's readily and cheaply available CF compact flash card. Uses either recharge or AA batts.
Very good durability, and a decent rig for the $. Kodak has two new models out this year, 1 is a 3+ MP, and in your price range with decent features.

Camera 2. Brand new (already 300 + pics, and 5 mini clips) Sony CD Mavica 400, 4 MP. Prints beautiful up to 20 X 30. Has 3x optical, and 2x digital zoom. Uses readily and cheaply available mini cds, remove from camera, place in PC CD drive. I love it. It is a little slow, but it can do anything that I want it to do. I just had 7 pictures printed at the local digi-kiosk. Cost 2.88 Euro, or about $3.00. They are better than the 35mm snap shooter I own, and the depth is brillant. Uses large battery, with built in time keeper. Spare batt is $49.95.

One must keep in mind, a digi-cam is not a film camera. It will never duplicate or capture what you want it to. But for snap shots, e-mails and what not, it is good.
Digital zoom should only be used for precise point blank subject. Not for a snap shot. Optical zoom, is equilivant to a normal zoom lens on a SLR camera.

Get one that has universal battery type, and readily available memory. You always want to drain a recharge batt as low as possible before re-applying power to it. I used to drop the batts, if they were over 1/4 charged, and plug into the wall for transfer.

Get a card reader for whatever type of memory the camera uses. It's even faster than USB camera hook-up.

I would read the latest Digi-cam reviews. I hate to say this, but the Olympus was kinda weak in color recreation when I was researching last Sept-Oct.

Good Luck
Felix

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

John F. Kennedy
35th President of The United States

The Last Shot

Honor The Fallen

Jesus died for our sins, and American Soldiers died for our freedom.

If you don't stand behind our Soldiers, please feel free to stand in front of them.