View Single Post
Old 02-22-2003, 05:36 AM   #20
Olorin

Breakout Champion Hexxagon Champion
This program seems to be another example of how governments are trying to fill the role of parents. Whose job is it to keep children (esp. under 16!) from getting pregnant/causing pregnancies? THE PARENTS!

The program is attempting to take over the job of the parent, but in reality, it will interfere with those parents who are doing their job. I imagine the majority of parents out there do not want their teenagers experimenting with oral sex, so teaching it in the schools will undermine what those parents are trying to do. Maybe it will help kids whose parents aren't spending enough time with them, but I just don't think the schools are the place to teach morality and sexuality.

It would be interesting to do a study of the last two or three generations of teenagers, and compare teen pregnancy rates to the percentages of single parent families, divorced parents, and households where both parents worked. I have a feeling that our parents generation had less teen pregnancies from a combination of less mass media exposure, parental involvement, and fear of consequences (how often are teen fathers forced by their parents to "do the right thing" by marrying the girl they knocked up?)

For myself, when I get married and have kids, I will find a way to free either myself or my wife from having to work. Having a bigger house and nicer toys is all well and good, but it's better to love your children than to spoil them.
"Many are my names in many countries. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkun to the Dwarves; Olorin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incanus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not"

--The Two Towers