View Single Post
Old 02-22-2003, 06:52 PM   #122
Bungleau
40th Level Warrior

Okay, at the end of the day, the new dishwasher is in. Installed by yours truly, and not too many issues along the way. Did have a couple, though, that are worth a humorous thought (at least at this point).

First, dishwashers are designed to be tucked into the cabinetry. This one was. It was then walled in by some floor molding. Had to dig in the bottom of my toolbox to find a short saw designed for cutting through boards while they're attached to walls, aka a "saws-all". Fortunately, I have one, although it's a hand saw, not an electric one. I want an electric one.

Second, the pieces actually swap in and out fairly easily. Disconnect the water intake and out-go, disconnect the power, swap, and reconnect. Not too difficult.

Until the testing, of course. That's when I discovered I hadn't tightened the water intake enough, and it shot water all over. Turned it back off, tightened it with two different wrenches, and success.

Third is the final drip test. You get everything where you think it's fine, and then go away for five minutes. You then come back to check for water droplets as a clue for a slow leak. By the third round of tightening (or was it the fourth?), didn't have any more.

Fourth is the moment of truth. Power it up, let it go, and watch for things like smoke (bad), water (bad), and sparks (also bad). Fortunately, didn't have any of those.

And we just got done putting away the first load of clean dishes. How nice!

Of course, if I look at the $125 it would have cost to get it installed, I just got done working for around $15 per hour. Not bad, in many places.

Now, to go get some dessert and sit down for a movie. Land Before Time 6, I think it is...
-+-+-+
Give 'em a hug one more time. It might be the last.