View Single Post
Old 02-20-2003, 05:54 PM   #11
Epona
Zartan

LOL! Your films will be FINE going through airport security in Europe - it is not true that they will be damaged by going through our x-ray machines. If that were the case I would never have any holiday photos LOL. The only risk is very high speed film - something like 1000 ASA film might be exposed by x-rays - ordinary film will be just fine. I use 400 ASA on holiday, and never had a problem anywhere in Europe.

It is illegal to import certain food (meat, meat products, animal products, dairy products, fruit, vegetables - a bag of candy is fine though), plants, or animals to Europe - anything like this will be confiscated when you go through London customs.

Keep your passport with you at all times.

Don't leave your luggage unattended ANYWHERE - not just at airports. In London especially, because we have been at risk of terrorism for over 30 years, unattended bags anywhere in the city will result in the area being evacuated and public transport grinding to a standstill.

London is a nice place, pity you can't do any sightseeing while you're here! I hope you've allowed plenty of time to get between the airports - Gatwick isn't in London, it's near the South Coast of England, and Heathrow is way out in West London. There may be a shuttle bus between airports, but if not the best way to do it (if the airline is not transferring you themselves) is to book a minicab - but NOT a black cab, it will cost a fortune. Doing it by public transport is complex and time consuming, I wouldn't recommend it - you're looking at maybe 3 hours to get between airports. If you need more info on how to do this, post again and ask me!

Check in time at European airports is usually 2 hours prior to departure.

If you're in London and someone asks you for a fag, it means they want a cigarette - nothing more sinister.

If someone in London says 'awright mate?' it means hello, they're not asking for a summary of your medical history.

Ignore Horatio, London is a lovely place, but like any big city has its share of pickpockets so keep your wallet and passport safe - the same goes for travel in any city.

Where in Italy are you headed? I've been to Italy a couple of times (Venice, Verona, and more rural parts). Do you speak any Italian?

[ 02-20-2003, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Epona ]