View Single Post
Old 02-09-2003, 10:20 AM   #20
Barry the Sprout
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by Mouse:
I believe this thread was started to examine the notion of the internet as a viable alternative to more traditional methods of meeting people. Speaking personally, when I told people that I was going off to a BBQ in Grenoble last summer with a bunch of people I had only ever "met" on-line, some of my friends were a bit dubious.

Suffice to say I had a great time and really enjoyed myself, but then again, as the pictures at Stealthy's prove, I'm big enough, old enough and ugly enough to take care of myself
I know what you mean! I told my dad I was meeting some people in London from here and he was none too impressed. I did try and explain to him that these people hadn't really been trying to trick me or impress me all that much, and that frankly you can meet some right nutcases in bars let alone on the internet. I think a lot of people remain quite fearful of it, which is strange but to be expected I suppose. Its still quite a new phenomenon.
[img]\"http://img1.ranchoweb.com/images/sproutman/certwist.gif\" alt=\" - \" /><br /><br /><i>\"And the angels all pallid and wan,<br />Uprising, unveiling, affirm,<br />That the play is the tragedy, man,<br />And its hero the Conquerer Worm.\"</i><br /> - Edgar Allan Poe