View Single Post
Old 01-27-2003, 08:54 PM   #47
Sir Krustin
Symbol of Cyric

Good job keeping this civil, guys. I've been kinda avoiding this thread, but it looks interesting.

1. How you voted (of course)

Pro-life

2. Why

Life is sacred, and the lives of defenceless children are the most sacred of all. Yes, the mother's control over her own body is important - but if she didn't want to have a child, she shouldn't have engaged in procreative activity.

3. Whether that conflicts with your religion's stance on the issue

None, really.

4. Whether your views change with extenuating circumstances (e.g. you do not support abortion but would support it for rape and incest victims, especially when they are young, or in the cases where the mother's life is in danger).

I have very little consideration for extenuating circumstances. Only in cases where the mothers life is threatened would I support it - and then only if the mother chose death for her child.

I must admit that Attalus made some good points, though. In the protestant denomination I attend, children are considered heaven-bound until they are old enough to decide for themselves what they want to do with their life. (let's leave that age nebulous right now, but 13 would be a good guideline) up until that point, then their death would matter less in that respect. So I guess I could accept a mother aborting her child in cases of rape and incest - but definitely not as a means of contraception. As others have stated, counselling should be mandatory. I've met young women who have severely regretted, after the fact, what they did to their unborn child.

One thing that makes me a little bit more pro-choice is the matter of government interference in our lives. I'm very much a libertarian when it comes to government, and I also believe in the separation of church and state. On the flip-side, if government chooses to defend life (ie, protect society from murderers) then shouldn't it also protect unborn children?

5. (just for s*ts and giggles) Whether or not you support the death penalty and how, if at all, you see that relative to your abortion stance.

I do support the death penalty, but only in cases where the doubt is miniscule. I there is any doubt whatsoever, then the penalty should be life in prison. Also, whether or not the individual in question is deemed worthy of rehabilitation is a worthy concern; if s/he is an unrepentant, hardened criminal then do 'em.