View Single Post
Old 01-23-2003, 02:13 PM   #17
Timber Loftis
40th Level Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by The Hunter of Jahanna:
quote:
Oh, I second the thoughts on maiming the guy, enticing as that sounds. Remember, though, if you challenge him to a fight and he consents it's perfectly legal as far as I know (don't use weapons or the law gets fuzzy - plus I'm an American, so it could be waaayyy different).
Say it aint so, Timber!! Do you realy mean that they cant charge us with assault if we get into an arguent in a bar and choose to go out side and fight it out?!?! When did this happen?[/QUOTE]Well, two aspects:
1. Criminal Law: depends on your state's statutory definition of a few possible-applicable laws: Assault, Battery, and perhaps Disorderly Conduct/ Disturbing the Peace. But, you must also know whether your state considers CONSENT a defense to these crimes.

2. Civil Side: CONSENT is an absolute defense to torts such as assault and battery. So long as there are reasonable bounds drawn on the consent. Punching someone in a flag football game is going farther than they consented. Punching someone in a fist fight is not.

How do you think boxing is legal?